Many times during a climbing expedition, when the fatigue really starts to take hold, the idea of turning back begins to bubble up. In order to continue moving it often takes the support of team members offering humorous distractions, a great story, technical advice, or the phrase, “We can do this!” To Move Up a mountain, or Move Up academically, it sometimes takes the support and encouragement from others. This is gentle and expert support is what I offer to my students.
Teaching has taught me that successful students need creatively delivered curriculum, engaging hands-on materials, connection to prior knowledge, and support from an experienced guide. As a Montessori trained teacher, I offer every student lessons that engage them in the learning process. I provide the space and positive feedback students need, as they construct their own understanding of important concepts.
My 20 years of experience as an educator includes:
- Licensed teaching in Oregon’s charter and conventional public schools
- Eight years of teaching in Brasilia, Brazil and Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Tutoring students age 5 to adult
- Specialized training in the Scottish Storyline approach, Nature of Scientific Inquiry, Visual Math, Community of Writers, Literature Circles, Race and Ethnicity in Education, and Montessori Education
- Supporting other teachers as head of faculty, consultant, and math coach
- Camp counseling for the City of Eugene’s Quest Summer Camp, hosting teens with disabilities
- Instructing at a summer enrichment program for Talented and Gifted Middle and High Schoolers
- Coaching students in orienteering, soccer, futsal, slacklining, kayaking, mountain biking, backpacking, and stand up paddle boarding